Thursday, January 5, 2012

Not your average Eggs

I wanted to start the new year off right and like many of you, every year starts with a new membership to the gym. I was excited to start working out again until it came to the measurements and weight analysis. OUCH! Well, on the positive side, I learned that my eating habits have improved over the last few years. Eating more frequently and with less carbs has proven to be effective, but sticking to it is another story..... It is necessary to keep it interesting and healthy at the same time. I will introduce you to some of my favorite foods frequently and I hope to hear some of yours!

Snack:
Healthy Deviled Eggs

12 eggs
1 cup cottage cheese
3Tbsp dill pickled reslish
1Tbsp dijon mustard
pinch of cayenne pepper
pinch crushed red pepper flakes


Boil the eggs for 10minutes and let them cool to room temperature. Cut the lengthwise and reserve 4 yolks, discarding the rest. Add the yolks and the remainder of the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. (If you choose to leave out all of the yolks, just add and additional heaping tablespoon of dijon to the mixture). Scoop the mixture by the tablespoon into each of the egg halves. Three whole eggs have about 18g protein and are less than 100 calories. Here's to healthy snacking! Enjoy!