Monday, January 16, 2012

Healthy Snacks Require Discipline

Nutrition Tip #1
Women are always looking for the lastest information on nutrition and how to eat healthier. Diet fads come and go, but the conversation of losing weight and getting healthy has remained unchanged for years.

Convenience has become a necessary evil in most households. I say evil, because most things that are prepackaged have some type of unecessary preservative to keep them fresh.  Fast food restaurants have attempted to optimize their healthy choices, although they pale in comparison to home prepared and home cooked meals. So why not prepackage things yourself. It is healthier for sure, cheaper and it really doesn't require a lot of time once you get into the routine of doing it.

In todays "immediate gratification" society, discipline is a necessity and the number one most important concept in my diet. It is important to be cognizant of when you are snacking, and be able to provide yourself with healthier choices that are just as quick and easy as the vending machine. 100 calorie snack baggies have become a staple in my pantry. I set aside one day a week to "pre" package my snacks and get meals prepared for the week. Then I pack a large bag to carry with me, especially when I know I will be gone all day. When I get a craving, I just reach in and indulge.

It is important to try to stay on the "outskirts" of the grocery store and buy fresh whenever possible. You can pack anything into a bag with some ice blocks and keep it fresh, so what are you waiting for? You can find recommendations from the CDC, the American Heart Association, and from the clean eating program by Tosca Reno. I started eating clean a few years ago and have really learned a lot about nutrition from her books. I highly recommend that you catch up on some reading, educate yourself about nutrition facts of various foods and find the determination to pre package your own foods. You will be surprised at how much difference that one "little" change will make!